Friday, February 27, 2009

The Language of Flowers

For as long as I can remember, I've loved learning about plants and flowers.  Their history, uses, and variety are all fascinating to me.  During college, I wrote research papers about ancient Egyptian herb gardens and medicinal plant use among Chimpanzees, volunteered at the campus Botanical Garden, and almost took enough botany classes to receive a minor in the subject!  One of my favorite parts of living in Helena, Arkansas was the beautiful Garden of Eden in the dilapidated downtown, sustained completely by volunteers.  And working at the Getty Villa, there was nothing nicer that spending my lunch break wandering through the flower-strewn hillside above the Villa, as well as its gardens.  Someday, Todd and I hope to be able to have a garden of our own... but until then, our wedding provides a fun opportunity to learn more about flowers!

I was particularly interested in learning about the meanings of our flowers in the "language of flowers" that lovers used in Victorian times.

Daisy = Innocence, loyal love, purity, gentleness
Tulip = Perfect lover, beautiful eyes
Tulip, yellow = "there's sunshine in your smile"
Fern (used for the boutonnieres) = magic, fascination, confidence, shelter, sincerity
Rose = happy love
Rose, yellow = joy, gladness
Ranunculus (pictured below; also known as Buttercup or Coyote's Eyes) = "I am dazzled by your charms," You are radiant with charms"
Apple (used to hold the reception place-cards) = symbol of perpetual concord
Baby's breath = happiness
Ivy (for wooden letters and garland) = friendship, wedded love, fidelity, affection

All in all, pretty great, wouldn't you say? 


Here are some hilarious flower meanings that make me GLAD we're not using these types of flowers!

Begonia = "Beware! I am fanciful!"
Bindweed (isn't that a hideous name?!) = Coquette, busybody
Zinnia = thoughts of absent friends
Hydrangea (surprisingly!) = vanity, "thank you for understanding," frigidity


And here are a few more flower meanings:

Clove = dignity and restraint
White lily = "My first dream of love"
Marvel-Of-Peru (have NO idea what kind of flower this is!) = flame of love
Nasturtium = patriotism
Pansy = thoughtful recollection
Spearmint = fresh breath? Nope, warmth of sentiment!
Xeranthemum (again, have no clue what this flower looks like but it sounds cool) = eternity and immortality

Although not many people today know (or care) about the language of flowers, it's certainly a fun historical inquiry, and provides much food for thought about the Victorians and their world...

1 comment:

Suzi said...

Hrrm, we'll be using hydrangeas! Oh well... :P

Do you know what peonies mean? We'll be using them a whooole lot.

I love ranuculuses, but I don't think we'll be using them..

Well, at least roses mean something good! :) Obviously I'm not building my flowers around what they mean, although it's a lovely idea... :)