Sunday, February 8, 2009

Flower Pens

It's amazing how many little details can be improved upon (at least I hope so!) when planning a wedding.  Take, for instance, the pens with which guests sign the guest-book.  Did I want bic pens in a glass, or a white, enamelly-looking standard "wedding guest-book and pen" pen?  No!  I decided to incorporate daisies into yet another aspect of the wedding: Daisy Pens!

So I bought two stalks of faux daisies at Michael's, as well as green floral tape.  I then cut each daisy off its stalk, leaving about four inches of stem remaining.

I decided to use Sharpie pens in assorted colors for a variety of reasons:

1) they're permanent
2) they come in a lot of great colors
3) they don't "bleed" or "run" like many other pens
4) they rarely stop working
and 5) I already have a bunch of them on hand! 

Then I got out my trusty industrial-strength glue gun (no piddly craft store ones for me!) and went to work.  I started by gluing the stem of each flower to the bottom half of the pen, so that the flower was placed flat against the end of the pen.  Once the stem was in place, I glued green floral tape in tight, even layers around the rest of the pen, stopping when all of the pen up to the colored top had been covered.

And voila!  A bouquet of daisy pens in a lovely little thrift store jug.


I hope people will realize that they are, in fact, pens... Maybe a sign would be in order? :-)


2 comments:

Alison said...

Yeah...I'm going to have seen the blog and am totally going to need a sign!

Suzi said...

Hee hee I'm planning on doing the same thing, only with peonies and/or roses! And also, probably the ultra-thin Sharpies. Super cute! :)