Monday, February 9, 2009

Reason #560 why guys are great:

They introduce you to TV shows and books you would never discover otherwise!

For instance, my favorite shows tend to be police procedurals and dramas such as Law & Order and CSI, and comedies like 30 Rock and The Office.  I think trekkies are funny, and I have never watched a science fiction TV series.  Ever.  Enter Battlestar Galactica, via Todd's netflix list:

I'll admit that I was skeptical at first, but the show is spectacular!  The characters are interesting and relatable and there's tons of action and special effects.  Although the plot twists are great, my favorite part of the series is the pathos and the emotional relationships between characters.  Even though the show is set in a place very unlike our own, it's fascinating how so many aspects of the society remain the same as ours.  I love it!

Todd also introduced me to this short story collection, with offering from dozens of hilarious comedians and comedy writers chronicling their real-life stories of being dumped:
Among the many nuggets of love wisdom I've learned from this guy-centric book:

The heart is (sometimes) a choking hazard 
(Stephen Colbert)

You too will get crushed 
(Ben Karlin, creator of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report)

A dog is no reason to stay together (Damian Kulash, Jr., singer in the band OK Go)

Always make her feel like she's #1 (Alex Gregory, New Yorker cartoonist)

In addition to being laugh-your-pants-off funny, this book really charmingly explores guys' feelings, and the mistakes and misadventures they've had before (mostly) finding the loves of their lives and settling down.

Has your guy introduced you to anything you never would have discovered on your own?


No comments: