Friday, May 2, 2008

Wedding Jewelry



Now you might say it's ridiculously too early to be thinking about my jewelry for the day of the wedding.  Normally, I would agree, but there are times when the exact thing you've been wanting in your subconscious is just right there before you.  And in those situations, I think it's fine to just leap in and go for it.  I can always choose my dress based on my jewelry instead of the other way around!

Last weekend, Todd and I were walking down by the Ferry Marketplace building right on San Francisco Bay.  It was a gorgeous day - all sunshine, small gusts of wind, and cotton ball clouds - and we had just finished exploring the sprawling farmer's market.  

We happened to walk  by a few arts & crafts tents and in one, laid out a table, was a lovely freshwater pearl necklace and earring set.  The interesting thing about it was that the pearls were woven together with thin gold wire threading - pearls crocheted in gold! - and the effect was thick, stranded pearl clusters glinting in the sun.  I loved them immediately, and had a vision of my wearing them on our wedding day, but then I thought - who am I kidding? I haven't even looked at dresses yet! Our wedding's not for more than a year! This is a tent on the water, not a proper jewelry store!

Todd said that if I really liked the set, I should get it and wear it, but I was still hesitant and I said that if I was still thinking about it next week, then I would walk down then and hope it hadn't been sold! Later that afternoon, we saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and right afterwards, I told him, "we have to go back - I really want those pearls! I'll never find anything so perfect!"  So, Todd - being wonderful - hiked all the way back down there with me, and luckily the set was still there.  And then, before I could pay for it, Todd insisted that he wanted to give it to me.  Really, sometimes he's much too sweet :-) .  But the upshot is, I have my wedding day jewelry and it's exactly what I want!  And it's the only thing about my look that won't be a surprise to Todd that day!

No comments: