Friday, May 16, 2008

Happily Sunburnt

Yesterday, I breezily decided to spend the day wandering in the city, with my first stop being Glamour Closet, a bridal gown boutique with designer dresses for pretty good prices (think $1,500 instead of $4,000 for a Vera Wang).

The dresses are mostly samples from runways and high-end bridal salons,  and all of them are either size 4 or 6 (which, in bridal sizes, is anywhere from 6-10).  This would be discouraging if I wasn't a 4-6 but, as it is, the whole store was potentially the perfect size! I went around attaching little pink-ribboned clips to six dresses.  The fabulous assistant, Amy, helped me in and out of each dress and then laid out each train as I stood on a little platform surrounded by mirrors.  I had expected the first wedding dress trying-on to be completely intimidating and scary but it wasn't.  Amy told me that she had eloped two years ago because she thought the whole prospect of going wedding dress shopping was too frightening and embarrassing.  And I think it can be.  But at Glamour Closet, it was friendly and comforting and fun, and I think it helped to go once on my own before doing the whole friends and family trip.  I was able to look at how the gowns fit my body and evaluate my preferences.  There was one beautiful dress - the last I put on - that I loved (though won't say more here, for fear of Todd's reading it!), but I felt like I should explore the field before making a decision, especially since the wedding's still a year away.


And this is what I looked like at 5:30, after spending hours reading and walking in the sun down by the pier, when I met Todd and some friends for trivia night at The Elephant & Castle:


Ouch! It's definitely sunscreen-slathering season again! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun! It sounds a lot like the place where I got my dress :)