Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy (almost) Fourth of July!!!


There is something both adorable and slightly absurd about otters.  I suppose the same could be said about quite a few things, really.  

This weekend, we're going to Monterey for my birthday.  And the main thing Monterey is known for, aside from its associations with John Steinbeck, is its world-renowned Aquarium, and especially the otter exhibit.  I can't wait! I haven't been to the Aquarium since I was in high school and Dad and I took a drive down the coast from San Francisco.  I remember being mesmerized by the otters, watching them play, crack clams on their stomachs, and generally cavort with one another in their expansive enclosure.

Todd's booked us a room at the lovely Spindrift Inn for two nights.  We'll wander through the history-filled filled streets which were Steinbeck's inspiration for Cannery Row and Tortilla Flats, spend as much time as we want at the Aquarium, walk along the beach behind our Inn, have some good meals, and perhaps even see some fireworks on the Fourth.  Although I'm sad that we won't get to go to Chrissie's for the holiday, I'm looking forward to our little adventure, and to just spending some time with each other in a new place.

One of the animals on our bed (I know, isn't it shocking that we have about seven? They've seemed to multiply over trips and holidays...For instance, the Okapi and Adnap (Panda spelled backwards, haha!) were both bought on our trip to San Diego last year, and Snuffles the Polar Bear (aka Kobe) was bought at the Bellagio, on the weekend that Marc proposed to Bree! ) is an otter named Webster, which we bought at the LA Zoo on our trip there at the very beginning of our relationship.  He just might be popped into one of our bags so he can see some of his friends and enjoy the sights in Monterey too!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Fourth of July!!!

1 comment:

ABA-IPL Law Student Liaison said...

Hello Emily...I am sorry to intrude upon your blog but I have been trying to do research on Malibu Nature Preserve to no avail. I only discovered the location today and since it is the first day of a holiday weekend, it's useless to call the location directly.

Would you mind sharing what you thought about the prickly location director so I know what to look out for? Most of what I can find about the site is what you mentioned--the delightful caterer!

Thank you for your assistance, if you are able to offer it. You may contact me at krystle.thompson@gmail.com. Also, I am curious as to which location you have decided to hold your wedding. Best to you!