Saturday, May 23, 2009

Room Sweet Room

Today, I headed to Ikea to pick up a few essentials (like, for instance, scissors, since I couldn't even cut the zip-tie on my pasta pot a few nights ago!) and ended up getting a couple of things just because they were SUCH a great deal.

Here's my room with the stuff from Ikea assembled and incorporated, including the birch veneer table ($12.99!), bedside lamp ($9.99; the one I'd brought from home fizzled out the first night), four baskets of varying sizes ($9.99), an Elephant's Foot Palm and a pot to put it in ($12.99 for both), and a wonderful comfy chair, of the sort Dad's house is filled with.  Normally, these chairs run from $89 to $229, depending on which wood and cushions you choose, but today only (for Memorial Day weekend), all chair frames (cushions included!) were only $39.  I got a medium brown frame with a black cushion.


Here's the view from the other side of the room - at least the closet's got lots of space and built-in shelving!


A couple of close-ups of the bedside table, with laptop, framed engagement session picture, books underneath, and a basket of writing/wedding supplies... I love the lamp's soft, lantern glow:


This little tree makes me so happy, and its trunk does look very similar to an elephant's foot!  It reminds me of a plant I had for a couple of years in college: a nice Gingko Biloba that Joan at UCLA's botanic garden (where I volunteered) had given me... 
This room still doesn't feel like "home" but it sure feels a lot more personal and cozy, and I think it's a little more presentable for when friends come over now, too :-)

No comments: